Information for Prospective Tenants
The Newark Housing Authority offers four types of low-income public housing across the city. There are 34 family developments, and ten developments which house the elderly and disabled. Housing types offered include:
- Family Low-rise Developments
- Family Townhomes
- Elderly and Special Needs residences
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
To learn more about the various public housing options view our Portfolio page or view the map of our sites. Becoming an NHA tenant is a five (5) stage process as outlined below.
You must satisfactorily complete each stage of this process before you will be placed in public housing. For more details or to apply for housing with NHA, please read the Tenant Application Process.
- Applying to the Waiting List
- Preference and Determination of Need
- Required Documentation and Application Forms for Download
- Maintaining Active Waiting List Status
- Screening and Notification Process
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)
NHA also helps place qualified applicants in private rental housing through the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) also known as Section 8. The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a national rental assistance program, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The goal of the program is to assist low- and moderate-income families to rent housing in the private market, by paying a portion of the family's rent each month. Learn more ....